Putting our boat to bed early this year will no doubt be the trigger needed for an Indian Summer.
The gales forecast in the middle of October prompted me to bring Margaret, our Conwy One design sailing boat into the marina for shelter. Sitting out on an exposed mooring for any boat or yacht in a gale is risky but as Margaret is approaching her 80th year I didn’t want to take any chances.
I suppose we are lucky at Network Yacht Brokers as the cost of marina berthing is all part and parcel of our business, the financial implications of bringing her in to the marina were not a consideration. That said given the weather trends of recent years I do believe sailing into December is a possibility.
What to do with Margaret this winter is another question as she has now swelled back to her water tight self this summer having had a very unceremonious launch earlier this year when she sank to the bottom of the marina. We expected this to happen as the 80 year old oak planks had been out of the water for almost three years. Therefore there was plenty of time for the timbers to shrink and large gaps to appear in her planking. I must confess having seen Margaret at the bottom of the marina made me think I would be pumping out this leaky old boat all summer. In fact just the opposite occurred,as from when we recovered her not a drip of sea water has come in through the planking.
So what now for Margaret? Our feeling is to wait until December and lift her out for three months. That’s long enough for an old boat to be out of the water without drying out too much and I have never been tempted to go sailing in Wales during January and February.
Looking forward to next year, let’s hope the weather will be kinder to us all in Wales; speaking for myself I have to say the short summer of 2012 would not have been half as bad if it hadn’t rained so much. I remember thinking this time last year that its bound to be a better summer next year and it didn’t happen. Same again next year?